- Great things have been happening at CMS. Our very own 8th grader Kristoffer Barks was awarded 4th place at the Fresno County Science Fair for his project on boiling points of different liquids. His accomplishment is a huge source of pride for us, his teachers, parents and community. Way to go Mr. Barks!
- We are currently in the last week of our Intramural Ultimate Frisbee season. The competition has been fierce. CMS will host HMS for our champion of champions Ultimate Frisbee contest. HMS hosted us for Intramural Basketball at the beginning of March, where we were victorious in the intense champion of champions game. It was a great contest. We are working to be repeat champions for Ultimate Frisbee.
- CMS 8th graders spent the morning at West Hills College on March 23rd. They were treated to a tour of each department on campus as well as the Farm of the Future. The purpose of the trip was to expose our students to a college and the various careers available to them through it. The students came back excited about the possibilities and the WHC swag they won. Thanks to all who made this tour possible!
- Fresno County Office of Education leaders came through CMS to judge our PBIS status a couple weeks ago. They scored our site on expectations being visible and how well students and staff knew the expectations. I am pleased to announce that we received a perfect score of 37 and are expecting to attain Bronze status this year! Great job everyone!
- CMS After School Program has been named as one of three finalist for Middle School program of the year. The winner will be announced at an awards gala on May 12th. Miss Zamudio and her staff have worked extra hard to make our program meaningful and rewarding for our students. We are so proud!
- It’s fourth quarter already! Wow! Where has this year gone??? As time grows short, our students and teachers are gearing up for state testing. CMS will be taking the SBAC state test over three weeks, May 8th-26th. We can’t wait to see the students show what they know! We are also prepping for 8th grade promotion. The parent group meets monthly to organize fundraising activities but this will quickly be shifting to planning the promotion activities.
Check In Check Out Program (CICO)
The Check in/out Program is a school-wide prevention program for students who are starting to engage in problem behavior. The goal of the Program is to prevent students who are acting out from escalation and provide them with more frequent feedback on their behavior to prevent future problem behavior. Our dedicated SMART teachers are in charge of checking students in and out on a daily basis and providing daily and weekly incentives. CICO (Check in/out) teachers are encouraged to make positive parent contact as well as give out weekly rewards for CICO (Check in/out) students earning daily points and meeting their behavior goals. CMS will be starting our 2nd round of CICO soon and are excited to see the improvement in participating students.